FORMER EESO SITE, DORSET STREET REDEVELOPMENT PLANS
An application has been lodged with Dublin City Council for the development of the former ESSO site on Dorset Street. Given that local planning and development can have a big impact on our community, I wanted to make the community aware of the details of the application.
LOCATION OF PLANNING APPLICATION
The site upon which development is proposed is the former ESSO site at 104A, 105 – 106 & 107 – 115 Dorset Street Upper and 65 – 70 Wellington Street, Dublin 1.
The site is bounded on the east by Wellington Street Lower, on the north by Wellington Street Lower, on the west by Paradise Place and on the south by Plas Mhuire National School and playground to the rear of St. Mary’s Place North.
KEY POINTS OF PLANNING APPLICATION
- Demolition of the single storey flat roofed building on the site.
- Construction of a 108 unit student accommodation complex, comprising of 463 bed-spaces.
- The development will range in height from four to six storeys high:
o 4 storeys along Paradise Place
o 4 storeys along Wellington Street Lower
o 6 storeys along Dorset Street
o 5 & 6 storeys in the inner courtyard spine blocks
- Provision of communal facilities including:
o Large item store
o Reception / Managament suite
o Common room
o Laundry room
o TV room
o Study room
- Waste storage & collection areas are to be provided along Wellington Street and Paradise Place.
- The Ground floor level along Dorset Street will see the following uses being proposed:
o 2x Retail units
o Financial services facilities
o Medical Units
o Management suite
o Entrance lobby / reception including general office, manager’s office, communications room, kitchen, staff toilet & shower room.
- 2x Disabled Parking spaces and loading bay to be provided along Paradise Place.
- 160x Bicycle parking spaces to be provided at surface level within the development.
- Ancillary facilities proposed in the application include:
o Accessible roof garden located on the fifth floor on the northern internal spine block.
o Landscaping & public realm improvements along Dorset Street and Paradise Place.
- Access to the development will be through controlled access point on Dorset Street and through a controlled pedestrian gate on Paradise Place.
PUBLIC CONSULTATION PHASE
The formal planning application was lodged with the Planning Department of Dublin City Council on May 22nd 2015. Local residents and community groups will now have the opportunity to make submissions and observations to the Planning Department detailing their views on the application. The final date upon which observations must be received by Dublin City Council is June 25th 2015. Remember only those who have lodged an observation with the City Council will have the opportunity to appeal the decision, whatever it may be, to An Bord Pleanala. Any observation must be made in writing and sent to the Planning Department, Dublin City Council, Civic Offices, Wood Quay, Dublin 8 inclusive of the €20 fee.
OPTION FOR PLANNING INFORMATION MEETING
Details of this planning application are available for viewing in the Planning Department of Dublin City Council. Alternatively, you can access all the relevant information submitted as part of the application on www.dublincity.ie.
FG Councillor, Ray McAdam, has sought to have a presentation on the specific details of the planning application at the June meeting of the Central Area Committee in City Hall on June 9th next. Either one of us will provide you with that information following the meeting.
In advance of your submitting an observation, myself and Councillor McAdam can arrange a meeting between residents and planning officials to discuss the application and to answer any questions that you may have about it. If you would like further information on the application or wish to meet officials in the Planning Department, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will follow up on that for you.